Posting this as such because some folks wanted to reblog it and I don’t know if there is another way to make a question response rebloggable.
aneasyworld asked: Hey! You’re answering questions! I’m ceasing this opportunity! So, I’m just interested to know your thoughts: I get, and think it’s totally awesome that you don’t remove body hair and you wear your ‘fro naturally, because ‘you are an animal’. That rocks, but I wonder how you reconcile that with dying hair and getting tattoos, which animals don’t tend to do. Are they all not a part of the big vanity game? It’s not a criticism and I think I know the answer, but I’d love to hear your take on it. X
I am not opposed to people shaving or wearing makeup or processing their hair or anything like that. I just think people should do what they like because they like it and that is how they feel comfortable and not because it is how they feel they have to be in order to be perceived as beautiful and normal according to some bullhooey external standards. Be you for you.
I like my hair like this right now. I am sure my hair will change at some point. It always does. Google “Kimya Dawson’s hair”.
I don’t mind body hair and I don’t care what other people think about body hair and I am lazy and I hate the way it feels growing in and when I used to shave I would cut myself all the time. So I don’t shave. But if I wake up one day and I feel like shaving it all off then I will, but it will be because I feel like it.
Saying “I’m an animal” doesn’t mean I am trying to be completely natural all the time and that I am a snob about it. It just means it is okay to be completely natural if and when I choose to be regardless of what anyone else thinks.
When I was in middle school I decided I would rather be myself and be an outcast than be accepted but living a lie. For me it was never about vanity. It has always been about just being true to my likes and being true to who I am.
A lot of people are quick to assume that people who aren’t trying to blend in are trying to get attention, but that isn’t always the case.
Most of the time I wish I was invisible, but I’ve got a circus act of a soul sometimes and I can’t stifle that. Sometimes I just get into frumpy mom mode too and I can’t stifle that either.
If you wanna shave shave. If you don’t don’t.
If you wanna get all Punky Brewster’d out do it to it.
If you wanna slip into a pair of sweet jeggings and an oversized sweatshirt that’s okay too.
Don’t worry about everyone else.
I love you (and me) no matter what.
- stopwastingmyspecial reblogged this from kimyadawson
- inyourpwny likes this
- sneakishly likes this
- hairalchemy likes this
- johnna-joy reblogged this from kimyadawson
- northwestlung likes this
- thisismymoon likes this
- dddaisy reblogged this from kimyadawson
- nychthemeral reblogged this from kimyadawson and added:
- nychthemeral likes this
- kimyaashley reblogged this from kimyadawson
- therakeyyyy likes this
- allherfavoritefruit said: this is the best thing i’ve read about body hair choices. i’ve done the same. kept it. shaved it. kept it. i do what i want. when i feel like doing it, not because of some ideal i’m trying to have about anything.
- innyouty likes this
- dannyskipper likes this
- vandalismisjustastonesthrowaway reblogged this from kimyadawson
- noelohel reblogged this from kimyadawson
- mixed-multimedia likes this
- effyeahsunny likes this
- mynameisalicearizona likes this
- serial-killing-fey-folk reblogged this from kimyadawson
- lameociraptor likes this
- chirpofjoy likes this
- runa-lovegood reblogged this from kimyadawson
- nel-ephant reblogged this from kimyadawson and added:
- insomnius likes this
- high-gradee likes this
- fffloat reblogged this from kimyadawson and added:
- serial-killing-fey-folk likes this
- thejelllyfish reblogged this from kimyadawson and added:
- thejelllyfish likes this
- josephicus likes this
- captainvar reblogged this from kimyadawson
- raw-head likes this
- kaylashea22 reblogged this from kimyadawson
- sparklenight likes this
- tricksoutofoursleeves reblogged this from kimyadawson
- aneasyworld reblogged this from kimyadawson and added:
- dapplepaw likes this
- gabriellaaime likes this
- grizzlynitram reblogged this from kimyadawson
- grizzlynitram likes this
- sheenalawl likes this
- tinybladder likes this
- anotheroneithink reblogged this from kimyadawson
- mirbrewer likes this
- treasuresuntold reblogged this from kimyadawson
- steflovelife reblogged this from kimyadawson
- roisin-the-enigma likes this
- basementbunny likes this